Friday, April 07, 2006

l'ultimo pensiero

I have had the hardest time trying to reconcile my thoughts on love and power. I tend to think people have a selfish nature, (and I think I'll go ahead and call that reason) but I do think it can and should be tempered with love. As for Hobbes and Milton, well, my thanks to them for exposing me to the flaws of such an argument. I found, over the course of this semester, that my ability to take up each side strengthened tremendously. Unfortunately, it confused the crap out of me, for Hobbes and Milton demand nothing less than absolute agreement. And here I am, still caught in the middle. I'm basically suggesting that madness should be the state of the world. Who wants to live in Hobbes's world? Or Milton's? Not me. If madness is what's left between the extremes of reason and love, I will gladly keep life interesting and go with madness.

To prove that neither Hobbes nor Milton is the victor:
I can't say I agree with Danny, that Hobbes won because the state of the world is in turmoil. Religion survived as much as war did. It just doesn't make the news.

Religion survived, and all major religions advocate some sort of selflessness, or sacrifce to a higher power. The fact that Christianity alone is so prevalent in our world proves that many, many people believe in the doctrine of selfless love. I live next door to a church, and every Sunday I sleep through a ceremony that glorifies what Hobbes would only consider weakness. Or madness.

So far, I am still most satisfied thinking that man's failure to commit to either of these extremes specifically signifies that we live in a state of madness or sin. It's the only way, according to the proposals of Hobbes and Milton, that I can justify the world as I see it--with war and religion, and war based on religion, etc. Even in the 17th century, my theory of madness works. Only a madman would turn on the Leviathan, and there they were, in the middle of a civil war. Madness to Milton would be equated as Adam and Eve, in the fallen state, turning their backs on God. The chance for redemption is always there, but they choose not to take it just yet. In the 17th century, and now, man is untrue to either path. The majority of people do not live in perfect love, nor in absolute pursuit of power. But both extremes do exist in the world, and I think, keep eachother in check. Milton and Hobbes are both so right that I cannot completely denounce either theory. Until I have some epiphany that includes both of them, I am resigned to keep turning the truths of each theory over in my head. My theory of madness will have to do for now, so I think Sean elaborated on a few things I agree with, and quite accurately.

I would like to thank the group members as well--I had a lot of fun with this assignment and class. I also feel very fortunate to have been included in this group. You guys were all great, and I hope to see you all again. Anyone else taking summer classes?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home