Saturday, April 01, 2006

Reason, Madness, Love

“There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness” –Nietzsche. I found this quotation on the link Danny added. I decided it could imply that there is a continuum between reason and love, the differentiating variable being the degree of madness separating the two extremes. Love is reason corrupted by madness. This theory works for me- add selflessness (which I would like to parallel with madness) to reason (which is selfish according to Hobbes) and reason degenerates nicely into love.
I think my new theory also fits interestingly into Sean’s post. It explains why love and reason do appear to coexist in man. If you think Hobbes didn’t properly address self-sacrifice for a loved one, I think he did. As insanity, true, but insanity is a factor Hobbes accounted for. Self-destruction in any form, love or otherwise, is reduced to madness. Is there some way we can come to a resolution between love and power on this blog? And if so, am I on the right track? Maybe we can forge a bridge between Hobbes and the Metaphysicals by asserting that madness, or reason diminished, is the state in which men are most often engaged. For the most part, we are all corrupt from the ideals of reason as well as the ideals of love. Maybe corruption/madness is the common denominator.
Anyway, the very fact that we are able to sustain a lengthy discourse on this topic indicates that there are valid AND truthful elements to both sides. Sean, being the official waffler, has your point of view changed over the course of this project?

Whoops, I know I’m still supposed to be arguing for Hobbes, but now I’m concerned with trying to figure out what, if any, conclusions I’ve come to over the course of this semester. Anyone else want to share on that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home